From very early times, diverse prehistoric and iberian civilizations were based in the environments of Teruel.
The San Martín Tower
San Martin church already existed in 1196, but the current church actually dates back to the seventeenth century. It has three naves, an ambulatory, a pointed barrel vault with small windows in the central nave and arris vaults in the side naves. The oldest part of the church is the Gothic-Mudejar Tower fašade from 1315. The square based building is adorned with brickwork and ceramic tiles. It has a pointed shaped vault at its base that leads onto the street.
The Tower of the Salvador
This Tower is almost identical to that of San Martin in shape and design. It dates back to the fourteenth century, although it was rebuilt in 1677 as it had collapsed. It has only one barrel vault covered nave, ornately decorated walls and side chapels. The Tower has several fascias separated by diamond-shaped tiles, borders and semicircular arches, and is decorated with green and white tiles.
The Tower of Merced
The church of the Merced possesses a Mudejar Tower which is a later 16th century work. It consists of three bodies, the first two are Mudejar,with a square plan on the lower one and a chamfered one in the centre. The last Tower has an octagonal plan and was constructed in the Baroque era. The interior of the church conserves a Plateresque reredos dedicated to San Jorge.
The Tower of San Pedro
The Tower is similar in design to the cathedral, but on a smaller scale and built at a later date. It is a Mudejar edifice that was constructed between 1319 and 1392. The Tower is made up of brick and encrusted ceramics. The church's exterior is also decorated with tiles, and is blessed with a polygonal apse reinforced with its Towers. There is a sole ribbed vaulted nave and side chapels inside the church. The high altarpiece is from the Renaissance. The Lover's of Teruel chapel lies next to the Epistle nave, although its tombs lie in a room next to the church. Authors consider it like oldest of the Mudejar Towers of the city; recent datings by thermus luminescence (1103-95) could lay for that direction.
The Torico Fountain
The primitive fountains that had been constructed earlier in this place were rain tanks and dated from 1375, they were replaced twice until 1858 when the present one was elevated. This fountain has a great column that is crowned by a reduced golden bull.
It is one of the most outstanding gothic buildings of the province. Its magnificent ashlar masonry is a perfect counterpoint to the brick of mudejar, that presides over practices the totality of conserved works published in the 14th century. Initiated in 1392, it consists of a polygonal head and a ship of five sections covered by a simple vault. In the outside they emphasize the great pointed windows with ornaments and the two interesting covers. Near the Church of Franciscanos a palace of the end of the 16th century is raised.
An outstanding space in this brief commentary, will be the so called "Primer Ensanche" (first extension). Projected like a city-garden, arranged around three axes, this remarkable building was installed in 1929. The first section of this, city-garden beginning by the Torán spring was completed in 1935, with a series of unifamiliares houses of high architectonic level, with rationalist influences. Close to the first extension you will find the park of the Fueros, presided by a sculpture of Pablo Serrano, a tribute to the farm women. This is by far the biggest green space of the city, very apt for a walk; here you will be able to find almost 60 different species of trees from the native pine tree to cedars of the Himalaya in addition to a great variety of shrubs and gardenplants.
Initiated in 1537, it is the most emblematic part of the water brought to the City. Perhaps the most outstanding work not only of Pierres Vedel is the main Spanish Renaissance Aqueduct,emulating Roman hydraulic works. The spring from which the water is taken, the Peña del Macho, is about 4 km outside Teruel. In that passage and under the city a complex device of canalizations articulated, that included more than 140 arcs and 11 sources. Near the aqueduct you will find the Arrabal school (provincial archive), work of Pablo Monguió, and the Church of the Favor, with its Mudejar Tower of the 16th century.
The Towers and walls of Teruel
The wall was built in four separate phases from the 13th century up to the 15th century. There are still several parts of the wall that remain intact, although the majority of it is hidden by the houses that have been built within the last two centuries. The walls of Teruel still conserve different types of Towers, circular ones, (San Esteban, Square, San Miguel Corner, etc.) and polygonal ones (Tower of the Lombardera), a reduced sample of the originally forty Towers that defended the city though. The worst fortune suffred the gates, conserving only two (San Miguel and Daroca, respectively) of the seven to nine existing ones.
The temple was constructed on top of the Santa Maria de Mediavilla church. It has three stonework and brick naves, as a result of the enlargement of the old Romanesque church in 1171. Juzaff the Moor directed the work that consisted of substituting the Romanesque apses with Gothic-Mudejar apses, which can still be seen in the main chapel. The Mudejar Tower dates back to the thirteenth century with a small passageway covered by a pointed barrel vault that leads on to the street. Another highlight of the Mudejar art inserted in the Cathedral is its ceiling, made around 1300. It is of wood, profusely decorated with streamlined, geometric and epigraphic elements of Islamic tradition and linear gothic decoration. This last one surprises by its wealth and variety, having received diverse interpretations.